Sunday, September 16, 2007

Worth the wait...

Mark and I hopped the train to Florence (Firenze) yesterday, to take the the 3 hour journey to the Academia that is home to Michelangelo's "David".

After sneaking into 1st class (which is worth it) and changing trains in Pisa, we arrived at about noon. At first I was not entirely impressed with Florence, there were so many people around and it was hard to get your bearings. Mark found our way with a free map from McDonalds which, by the way is where you can "taste the American breakfast" (egg mcmuffin and a hashbrown) between 6-11 a.m.

Thankfully, Mark had made reservations for the Academia over the Internet because the wait for people lined up down the street was about 3-4 blocks. As we walk in I wasn't prepared to blown away by the art and sculptures that were on display, but I was.

We walk around the corner and see magnificent paintings, art and figures in plaster and marble and out of the corner of my eye I see him. I feel goosebumps all over and there's a chill that wasn't due to the air conditioning. I can't look, I want to take in the other sculptures that Michelangelo had done first and give them the time it takes to truly appreciate the work that went into them. But then....

I look up and at the end of the gallery, under a dome shaped roof of windows stood David. It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. As we walk around him, everything is perfect from the veins in his hands to the tendon behind his knee. Carved from one block of marble he makes an intimidating figure and if you look long enough, you could swear he was breathing. I cannot look any longer and as I start to cry I ask Mark if I can hide in his shirt so that I don't look like the crazy Canadian girl who appears to be having a miserable time in Italy. It was a one in a million experience that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

We get back on the train (no first class this time) and after, three hours, 2 transfers, and some chicken Mcnuggets, we arrive home.

6 hours of transit, 7 hours of walking and one amazing piece of marble carved to perfection.

Thank you Firenze.

No comments: