Friday, February 5, 2010

creature of habit

hab⋅it
–noun
1.an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary: the habit of looking both ways before crossing the street.

2.customary practice or use: Daily bathing is an American habit.

3.a particular practice, custom, or usage: the habit of shaking hands.

4.a dominant or regular disposition or tendency; prevailing character or quality: She has a habit of looking at the bright side of things.


Whether good ones (buckling up) or bad ones (speeding) , I am a creature of habit .

It took me 20 some odd years to stop biting my nails. My mom tried to pay me a quarter a day for every day I didn't. This meant a poor childhood and my first job at 11 years old (picking raspberries - most of which I ate resulting in a pitiful amount of money at the end of the week but I remember waving around my $8.00 paycheck like I had just won the lottery - 8 BUCKS!! I was loaded).

I was talking with one of our amazing practice members the other day and we were both lamenting that we had a million unfinished projects in our homes. Her ceiling remains almost all painted while the 15 beautiful picture frames I bought a year ago are completely empty (there are currently no pictures in our house to prove that Mark and I actually live there).So how can this creature of habit never stick to anything?

WAIT! I think I'm having an epiphany - maybe not following through is a habit in itself!! It's the very definition of irony!! So how do I break this pattern? By finishing one project before starting another? Finishing what I've already started? By never starting anything ever again?

Studies show that it takes a minimum of 21 days for anything to become a habit. This means 21 days of going for a run, 21 days of not biting my nails, 21 days of having a proper meal before I dive into the bowl of popcorn.I can stick to anything for 21 days, the key is consistency. I think I'll start with finishing current projects.

Now, if you'll excuse me... I have to go and mail last years birthday cards.

Be Well.

No comments: